Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving with food allergies

I know Thanksgiving is over, but I thought I'd share some recipes from my family's allergy free/gluten free feast.

I was in charge of the appetizers and everything I brought was not only soy and dairy free, but also gluten free.

Avocado/Tomato Dip

You'll need:
4 Avocados (diced)
3 Roma Tomatoes (diced)
1/2 A Head of Garlic (finely chopped)
1/4 Cup of Olive Oil
2-3 Green Onions (finely chopped)
About 1/4 of a bunch of Cilantro (finely chopped)
(For those not familiar with Cilantro - you cut the stems from the leafy portion, chop up the leafy bits and use them. Discard the stems, but don't worry if you don't get all the stems. They aren't coarse or bitter so they won't ruin the texture of the flavor.)
1-2 Pinches of Salt (to taste)

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve with chips.


I made my own chips with corn tortillas.  I chop them up into chip size pieces and bake for 10-12 minutes on 350 degrees. You can sprinkle with salt if you like them salty.  Or to give them a little extra flavor, add some from chopped garlic before baking. Yum!

Here are the results.



Stay tuned for more appetizers and short cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment